Friday 30 November 2007

Waddesdon meeting with Year 12


I met with the year 12 class from Waddesdon School online last week. This is the same group I have been in contact with since the beginning of the project. The computer at the schools end has the web cam embedded into the top of the screen, which was positioned facing the class. Students had gathered into a group to ask questions and have a look around my studio space, their first view of the space as a group.

The main theme to be discussed, in relation to the student's own project work, was abstraction. How is abstraction used in my work? How do I develop work through abstraction. A question very relevant to the way I handle imagery, extracting information in the form of shapes, textures and colour of interest. Selecting areas from a range of imagery and fusing together on a new surface, using fabric, dye, print and stitch-at the moment. This can change. Often I extract detail from digital files using Adobe Photoshop. I can copy and paste areas onto a new file, creating a new composition. This can be printed and Incorporated into my other fabric constructions.

Other questions from the students revolved around actively making work, what inspires a piece of work, how much time is spent on each piece, what price do I sell work for. How do i make a living? What career advice would I offer new artists? Getting tricky, these questions.

I'll meet a few students from the group this week, to view and discuss their work in progress.

No comments: