Monday 5 November 2007

Waddesdon School 1st Visit

My next visit was a return to Waddesdon Church of England Secondary School. This school had been the home to my first studio space since leaving college, as part of the Arts Council South East Setting Up Scheme. I arrived at the start of a year 13 art lesson with Head of Art, Mr Berrett. Listening at the back of the class I was struck by the air of calm and professionalism about the room. The 20 or so students listening intently to a talk about researching artists and relating information towards individual work, finding links, inspiration, ideas to try. Actively delving into an artist's work selected by students themselves, to aid own visual responses, taking responsibility for their own art learning.

With this introduction, I came over to the class with my sketchbooks, fabric samples and slides to explain my own approach as an artist. I talked through my journey from college to now, examples of finished work, for commission, exhibition and for ongoing development. The students were keen to look through sketchbooks and ask questions about method and use of material. I shared experimental techniques, using back lighting, continuous surface embellishment, using low tech materials, encouraging a sense of play with these familiar materials, eg newspaper, clingfilm, bubble wrap. Creating own subject matter, from scratch, to photograph, to scan, to draw from, to deconstruct.

These discussions continued into the afternoon as I was able to meet students individually, and talk through their current work. This term sees the start of their self directed project, a daunting task allowing a freedom of subject matter, medium and scale. The students individuality was already very clear, demonstrating influences form a whole range of styles and techniques. What struck me most was the ease at which these students were merging ideas from new media artists and old masters.

It's an area which stimulates my own practice greatly. This merging of new and traditional media, combining painting, drawing, photography with digital imaging, animation and sound. The scope which exists for students to visualise their ideas is enormous. Because of this great choice, the level of research and development must run deep to secure a strong and consistent visual identity.

No comments: